What is a wireless adapter?
A wireless adapter is a hardware device that is attached to a computer or laptop and allows it to connect to a wireless network. Typically, they come in the form of a USB dongle device that you input into your computer. There are two main types of wireless adapters, based on the network type they help you connect to:
- WiFi adapters: they help you connect to WiFi networks nearby.
- Cellular / mobile broadband adapters: they connect to 3G or 4G / LTE cellular networks.
Learn more about wireless WiFi adapters: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-wifi-adapter-guide,4108.html
Why you need a wireless adapter
Usually, you need a wireless adapter connected to your computer if:
- you don't have a built-in WiFi adapter on your computer / laptop
- you have a built-in WiFi adapter, but you need to connect to multiple WiFi networks
- you need to connect to the Internet from your computer using cellular data
How Connectify uses a wireless adapter
Connectify can use a wireless adapter to share Internet through it or connect to the Internet. In the case of a WiFi adapter, Connectify Hotspot can both connect to the Internet and share the Internet with other devices. If you're using a 3G, 4G / LTE cellular broadband adapter, Connectify Hotspot can use that as the Internet connection to share with other devices.
Learn more about setting up Connectify Hotspot with different adapters here: https://support.connectify.me/article/195-how-to-setup-connectify-hotspot.